Nov 17, 2012

Stoic Wraith Shell - Wind and Light Rain Shirt


 9-7-13 Update:  Backcountry no longer sells their Stoic brand.  This product is discontinued.  I think I would replace it with a Montbell Tachyon.

11-17-12 Update: After several trips with my Wraith windshirt, I love it.  I bring it as my rain jacket when the forcast doesn't call for much rain.  Others have said it will keep you dry for an hour in rain.  I believe it.  I bring an umbrella that would help out in a driving rain.  My only complaint is the narrow sleeves that would make it hard to fit over my Nano Puff.  I still bring my Frogg Togg jacket if I need protection over my Nano Puff or expect an all day rain. 

Just got in my new Stoic Wraith Windshirt from backcountry.com  Looks great.  They are eliminating a 2011 color for $27  at about 2.5 oz.  Actual weight is 73g or 2.55oz for the XL
www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-gear-review-stoic-wraith-rain-jacket/gear/15792

3-19 Update:  After a week on the AT with the Stoic windshirt, I have to say I love it.  Light, packs into the zipper pocket.  Only improvement is to waterproof the seams to use as a rain jacket as well. (I added a post on seam sealing sil-nylon.)  The sleeves are a little long, but no big deal

Specs:  www.backcountry.com/stoic-wraith-shell-mens
The weather-shunning Stoic Wraith Jacket is so small, lightweight, and easy to smuggle, your trail-running partners will think you conjured it out of thin air. Weighing in at a mere 2.5-ounces and small enough to fit in a pocket, the Wraith Jacket puts an end to soggy days on the trail.
  • DWR finish repels light moisture
  • 3-D Ergonomic fit moves with you, not against you
  • Small and light enough to fit in a pocket






Material:
 
nylon 
Fabric Waterproof Rating:
 
water-resistant 
Hood:
 
yes, full-time 
Fit:
 
athletic 
Pockets:
 
1 front zip 
Weight:
 
2.5 oz 
Recommended Use:
 
trail running, hiking, going ultralight 
Manufacturer Warranty:
 
lifetime 

No comments: